Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Error message saying "Error 2738. Could not access VBScript run time for custom action"

This has been driving me crazy for days...


Error message saying "Error 2738. Could not access VBScript run time for custom action"

There are loads of websites with fixes for this problem when trying to install Sky Splayer but none of them fixed the issue for me.


The problem is was having was caused by a trial of McAfee's which came preloaded on my comuter. The scriptsn.dll overwrote the following registry which should be pointing Vbscript.dll.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{B54F3741-5B07-11cf-A4B0-00AA004A55E8}\InprocServer32

was set to
(Default) REG_SZ C:\Program Files\McAfee\VirusScan\scriptsn.dll


Changing this to be c:\windows\syswow64\regsvr32 vbscript.dll was not straight forward either as regedit wasn't allowing me to update the entry, in order to do this, i had to take ownership in the Permissions options, grant myself full control and then it enabled me to update the entry.

Hope this helps someone else who is pulling there hair out trying to resolve this problem...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home